Hale Theatre Arizona
Choose a service to schedule
- Schedule Your THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER Audition - Pay $675
The Man Who Came to Dinner AUDITIONS
Hale Centre Theatre will hold auditions for The Man Who Came to Dinner, by Moss Hart and George S. Kaufman playing April 9, 2015 – May 16, 2015. The show is produced by David and Corrin Dietlein and directed by Alaina Beauloye. Performances are Wednesday – Saturday nights with Saturday matinees.
It’s madness and mayhem when an infamously demanding radio personality, Sheridan Whiteside, having dined at the home of the Stanleys, slips on ice at their their doorstep, injuring his hip. A tumultuous six weeks of confinement follow. The Stanley living room is monopolized by the irascible invalid; ex-convicts are invited to meals; and transatlantic calls bring a $784 phone bill. The arrival of strange gifts from his friends further destroys domestic tranquility. It would take a stoical housewife to harbor penguins in her library, an octopus in her cellar, and 10,000 cockroaches in her kitchen. When his secretary, Maggie, falls in love with journalist, Bert Jefferson, Whiteside fears he may lose his long time assistant. He summons glamorous actress, Lorraine Sheldon, to win the affections of the young man. Throw in family drama, famous Hollywood guests, and eccentric characters and what more can happen? There are plenty of laughs in this 1939 classic!
Audition Times are as Follows: Saturday, February 14th at 10:00 AM
● Readings will be cold from the script. Sides will be provided.
● Please be familiar with the play.
● Looking for great character actors as some will be playing double (or more) roles.
● Dance or singing will not be required at the audition.
● A headshot and resume is required.
● Read the breakdowns and bring your best characters to the audition!
Will be held Saturday, February 21st at 9:00 AM with the first read through scheduled for Monday, February 23rd at 7:00 PM.
Auditions will be held at the Hale Theatre located at 50 West Page Avenue in dowtown Gilbert.
Each adult actor 16 years of age and older will receive a payment of $25.00 per performance.
Actors will be given rehearsal pay of $10 per rehearsal up to a maximum of $200.00.
Runtime: 2 hours and 15 minutes. Any questions may be emailed to email@example.com
● SHERIDAN WHITESIDE: (30's-50's) A middle aged, obnoxious but famous writer, critic radio host.
● MAGGIE CUTLER: (30’s-40’s) Whiteside’s private secretary. Does everything for him but she’s no push over. Falls in love with Bert Jefferson.
● MR. EARNEST W. STANLEY: (40’s-60’s) Uptight factory owner. Very frustrated by his guest.
● MRS. STANLEY (DAISY): (40’s-60’s) Highly strung wife.
● RICHARD STANLEY: (20’s-30’s) Son of Mr. and Mrs. Stanley. Talented amateur photographer.
● JUNE STANLEY: (20’s-30’s) Daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Stanley. In love with Sandy.
● MISS PREEN: (30’s-60’s) A spinsterish nurse who attends to Whiteside. A humorless prude.
● BERT JEFFERSON: (30’s-50’s) A local journalist who has written a play.
● JOHN: (30’s-50’s) The Stanley’s star-struck Butler.
● SARAH: (30’s-50’s) John’s wife and the Stanley's talented household cook.
● LORRAINE SHELDON / HARRIET STANLEY / MRS. McCUTCHEON: (30's-50's)
-->LORRAINE: A temperamental, acid-tongued, self-serving actress. Glamorous & beautiful.
-->HARRIET STANLEY: Eccentric, live-in sister of Mr. Stanley.
-->MRS. McCUTCHEON: Star-struck neighbor, local busy body, and friend of Mrs. Stanley.
● DR. BRADLEY / SANDY / PROFESSOR METZ / DETECTIVE: (20's-50's)
-->DR. BRADLEY: White's doctor. Also an aspiring writer.
-->SANDY: Handsome Union-organizer. In love with June Stanley.
-->PROFESSOR METZ: A strange-looking man. An entomologist.
-->DETECTIVE: Brings June and Richard home after they run away.
● BANJO / MR. BAKER: (30's-60's)
-->BANJO: A comedic over-the-top man who is a good friend of Mr. Whiteside.
-->MR. BAKER: Prison Guard.
● BEVERLEY CARLTON / PRISONER 1: (30's-50's)
-->BEVERLEY CARLTON: Flamboyant English Entertainer, singer, songwriter.
-->PRISONER: One of the murderes Whiteside invites to dinner.
● WESTCOTT/PRISONER/DEPUTY: (30's-60's)
-->WESTCOTT: Head radio man handling Whiteside's broadcast.
● EXPRESSMAN/RADIO TECHNICIAN/PRISONER/DEPUTY: (30’s-50's)
MEET THE DIRECTOR - Alaina Beauloye
Alaina Beauloye, originally from NYC, has worked on Broadway and in film as well as national and local commercials. She recently starred in an upcoming Discovery ID channel show, Love The Way You Lie. Alaina is honored to be directing for the 3rd time at Hale. She directed Lend Me a Tenor in January, Snow White in 2012, and has been cast in over 20 Hale productions, including Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Christine), The 39 Steps, Little Shop of Horrors (Audrey), The King and I (Anna), and The Man with the Pointed Toes (Florence & Pam). She is also a two time ariZoni award recipient for the roles of Norma Desmond in Sunset Boulevard and Christine in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Alaina is so excited to direct The Man Who Came to Dinner!