Hale Theatre Arizona
Choose a service to schedule
- Schedule Your WIZARD OF OZ and TARZAN Audition - PAID
THE WIZARD OF OZ and TARZAN AUDITIONS
Hale Centre Theatre will hold auditions for The Wizard of Oz playing May 21, 2015 – July 3, 2015 and Tarzan playing July 9, 2015 – August 22, 2015 . The shows are produced by David and Corrin Dietlein, directed by Cambrian James, and music directed by Lincoln Wright. Performances are Thursday – Saturday nights with Saturday matinees.
THE WIZARD OF OZ
Like so many girls her age, little Dorothy Gale of Kansas dreams of what lies over the rainbow. One day a twister hits her farm and carries her away over the rainbow to another world. Come join Dorothy, the Scarecrow, the Tinman, the Cowardly Lion and Toto as they travel the universe of Dorothy’s imagination.
Washed up on the shores of West Africa, an infant boy is taken in and raised by gorillas who name him Tarzan. Apart from striving for acceptance from his ape father, Tarzan's life is mostly monkey business until a human expedition treks into his tribe's territory and he encounters creatures like himself for the first time. Tarzan struggles to navigate a jungle, thick with emotion as he discovers his animal upbringing clashing with his human instincts.
AUDITION INFORMATION: Saturday March 21st, 2015 at 10:00 AM
● Be prepared to sing 16 bars of music.
● Bring your own sheet music; an accompanist will be provided.
● A headshot and resume is required.
● Call backs for The Wizard of Oz will be held Saturday March 28th at 10:00 AM with the first read through scheduled for Monday April 6th at 7:00 PM.
● Call backs for Tarzan will be held Saturday April 11th at 10:00 AM with the first read through scheduled for Monday May 25th at 7:00 PM.
Auditions will be held at the theater located at 50 West Page Avenue in Gilbert.
HOW TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT
You can sign up for appointments at www.haletheatrearizona.com/Online/auditions.
Each adult actor 16 years of age and older will receive a payment of $25.00 per performance. Child actors will be paid $12.50 for each performance.
Actors will be given rehearsal pay of $10.00 per rehearsal up to a maximum of $200.00.
Runtime: 2 hours and 30 minutes each show. Auditions are by appointment only. Any questions may be emailed to email@example.com.
THE WIZARD OF OZ CHARACTER BREAKDOWN
● Dorothy Gale: (16-20) A young and sprightly girl, lives with her aunt and uncle on the bleak Kansas prairie. She is energetic and delights in her dog Toto. Dorothy is sweet and simple and represents traditional and idealistic moral values.
● Aunt Em (Emily Gale)/Glinda the Good Witch of the North: (25-40)
Aunt Em: Dorothy Gale's aunt. They live a hardscrabble life on a farm in Kansas. The hot and bleak Kansas prairie has stripped her of her youth and mirth. She does not understand Dorothy's freshness of spirit.
Glinda: The Good Witch of the South, Glinda is young and beautiful. Dorothy appeals to her to help her return to Kansas, but Glinda reveals to her the power of the silver slippers that can take her there right away.
● Uncle Henry (Henry Gale)/Emerald City Guard: (30-45)
Uncle Henry: Dorothy Gale's uncle. They live a hardscrabble life on a farm in Kansas.
Emerald City Guard: The Emerald City Guard guards the entrance to Oz and is a bit arrogant in wielding his power, but is a softy at his core.
● Hunk (farmhand)/Scarecrow: (20-50)
Hunk: One of Aunt Em and Uncle Henry's three farm workers.
The Scarecrow: Rescued by Dorothy from his dull life in a farmer's field, the Scarecrow's greatest wish is to procure brains for himself from the Wizard of Oz. Despite his perceived lack of brains, however, the Scarecrow is exceedingly intelligent and resourceful.
● Hickory (farmhand)/Tinman: (20-50)
Hickory: One of Aunt Em and Uncle Henry's three farm workers.
The Tinman: Rescued by Dorothy after rusting in the forest, the Tinman desires a heart from the Wizard of Oz. He used to be a real man and was in love with a Munchkin girl, but due to the Wicked Witch of the East's evil machinations he lost his limbs and eventually became a man of tin without a heart. Despite his belief that he lacked emotion, he proves himself a kind and sensitive man.
● Zeke (farmhand)/Cowardly Lion: (20-50)
Zeke: One of Aunt Em and Uncle Henry's three farm workers.
The Cowardly Lion: The Lion encounters Dorothy, Toto, the Scarecrow, and the Tin Woodman in the forest. He claims to be a coward and wishes for the Wizard of Oz to give him courage. However, he proves himself courageous in many situations throughout the novel.
● Miss Almira Gulch/The Wicked Witch of the West: (20-50)
Miss Almira Gulch: A twisted, selfish woman who owns most of the Kansas town where Henry, Em, and Dorothy live.
The Wicked Witch: The Witch resents Dorothy for killing her sister. She is powerful, bitter, and full of rage. She covets Dorothy's magic slippers, recognizing their power, and tries to take them from her, but this proves her undoing when a vexed Dorothy throws a pail of water on her and she melts away into nothingness.
● Professor Chester Marvel/The Wizard of Oz: (30-50)
Professor Marvel: Marvel is a friendly traveling salesman who convinces Dorothy to go back home to her family after she runs away.
The Wizard of Oz: Powerful ruler of the Emerald City. He helps the Scarecrow, Tin Woodman, and Lion with their wishes and tries to take Dorothy back to Kansas in a hot air balloon, but it unfortunately departs without her.
Munchkins: (20-50) We will NOT be casting children as Munchkins.
● Citizens of Munchkinland (Chorus)
Mayor, Coroner, Barrister, 2 City Fathers, 3 Tough Guys, Fiddler, Braggart,
● Ensemble: Poppies & Snowmen, Ozians (Beauticians, Polishers, Manicurists), 2 Oz Men, 2 Oz Women, Winkies, Winkie General, Nikko (Commander of the Monkeys), Jitterbug (Lead Dancers), Jitterbugs & Ghosts.
TARZAN CHARACTER BREAKDOWN
● Father: (30-40) Biological father of Tarzan, a Victorian Englishman
● Mother: (25-35) Biological mother of Tarzan, a Victorian Englishwoman
● Apes: (20+) Gorilla inhabitants of the coastal jungle of western Africa
● Kala: (25-45) A gentle mother ape, protector of Tarzan
● Kerchak: (30-50) A gruff bull ape, leader of the gorillas, Kala’s mate
● Leopard: (20+) A fierce carnivore that threatens both gorillas and humans
● Young Tarzan: (8-12) An innocent, ten-year-old, human misfit raised by apes
● Young Terk: (10-15) A sarcastic, overconfident, adolescent ape who takes Tarzan under his wing
● Terk: (20-30) A young adult ape, best friend to Tarzan, changed little from when he was a child
● Tarzan: (20-30) The young adult Ape Man, innocent, vulnerable, fearless, and full of ingenuity
● Jane: (20-30) A modern and adventurous young Englishwoman, student of botany
● Professor Porter: (40-50) A bumbling yet sensitive Englishman, professor of biology, father of Jane
● Clayton: (25-40) A brutish, arrogant, self absorbed, and greedy British expedition guide
● Snipes: (20-35) expedition crewman, Clayton’s second-in-command
● Expedition Crew: (20+) British male workers under the supervision of Clayton
Cambrian James is well-known for his versatile staging throughout the Valley and nationally. He is a multi-award winning director and choreographer for Footloose, Damn Yankees and Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Cambrian has enjoyed a long career as an actor and dancer in Annie (Daddy Warbucks), Crazy For You (Bobby Child), The King and I (the King) and Hairspray (Edna Turnblad).